18th October 2011
Positive performance - On track for the full year
Interim Management Statement for the nine months ended 30 September 2011
* Revenue for the nine months was up 9.8% to £706.2m (Sept 2010: £642.9m);
underlying revenue growth was 8.5%
* Adjusted operating profit was up by 16.4% to £127.5m (Sept 2010: £109.5m)
* Adjusted operating profit margin rose to 18.1% (Sept 2010: 17.0%) driven by
strong Events margin
* Revenue and margins in the third quarter reflect anticipated seasonality
* Our expectations for full year 2011 results remain in line with the overall
and divisional guidance provided at the Interim results
David Levin, Chief Executive Officer, UBM said:
"UBM performed in line with our expectations. Our Events continue to demonstrate excellent growth and strong margins, particularly in China and across the emerging markets, while our other businesses performed as anticipated with the usual Q3 seasonal effects on revenue and margins. We remain on track to deliver results in line with the guidance we gave in July for the full year 2011 on both a consolidated and divisional basis.
"Given the growing concerns over the global economic environment, we continue to be vigilant for signs of an economic slowdown but to date we have seen no material impact across UBM. Moreover, given that Events now comprise a significantly larger part of our business, that 22% of our revenues are generated in Emerging Markets and that we have substantially lower exposure to print, we believe UBM is a stronger, more resilient business than in previous years."
Unaudited results for the nine months ended 30 September 2011
Revenue 2011 2010 Change Underlying Change
£m £m % %
Events 278.5 220.0 26.6 19.2
Targeting, Distribution & 139.7 134.0 4.3 5.0
Data Services 138.3 139.1 -0.6 -
Online - Marketing Services 63.5 45.9 38.3 20.6
Print - Magazines 86.2 103.9 -17.0 -7.9
Total Revenue 706.2 642.9 9.8 8.5
Adjusted Operating Profit 2011 2010 Change 2011 2010
£m £m % % %
Events 85.5 59.8 43.0 30.7 27.2
Targeting, Distribution & 28.5 31.2 -8.7 20.4 23.3
Data Services 18.6 22.7 -18.1 13.4 16.3
Online - Marketing Services 0.5 (1.9) n/m 0.8 -4.1
Print - Magazines 4.7 3.6 30.6 5.5 3.5
Corporate Operations (10.3) (5.9) n/m - -
Total Adjusted Operating Profit 127.5 109.5 16.4 18.1 17.0
* YTD event revenues are up 26.6% to £278.5m (Sept 2010: £220.0m); underlying
growth was 19.2%.
* Major Q3 events included the September Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair,
Furniture China Fair and Black Hat USA, which all showed strong double
* There were no biennials during the third quarter versus £2.5m of revenue in
* YTD adjusted operating margin of 30.7% (Sept 2010: 27.2%) reflected the
contribution of UBM Canon events, particularly in the first half, although
strong events growth during the quarter continued to deliver good
* Forward bookings for UBM's 2010 Top 20 annual events running in the next 12
months are up 16% over their level a year ago.
Targeting, Distribution & Monitoring ("TD&M")
* YTD PR Newswire's revenues rose 4.3% to £139.7m (Sept 2010: £134.0m);
underlying growth was 5.0%.
* Q3 is a seasonally quieter period; however, on a constant currency basis,
we continued to demonstrate solid growth in US wire, good growth in US
non-wire products (especially Vintage which is benefitting from wider
adoption of XBRL) and good growth outside the US.
* The Q3 adjusted operating margin rose 0.7 percentage points over Q3 2010
while YTD adjusted operating margin was 20.4% (Sept 2010: 23.3%) reflecting
the seasonality, strong growth in Vintage and the increased IT and sales
* YTD Data Services revenues fell 0.6% to £138.3m (Sept 2010: £139.1m), with
flat underlying revenue growth.
* The slowdown during the third quarter is largely attributable to a strong
but slower rate of UBM TechInsights growth, only partially offsetting
continued weakness in Trade and Transport and negative phasing in
* YTD adjusted operating margin was 13.4% (Sept 2010: 16.3%) reflecting shift
in mix and higher level of targeted investment noted in the first half
Online & Print - Marketing Services
* Combined reported revenues were flat at £149.7m (Sept 2010: £149.8m), with
underlying revenue growth of 3.1%.
* The combined YTD adjusted operating margin was 3.5% (Sept 2010: 1.1%).
* YTD Online revenues rose 38.3% to £63.5m (Sept 2010: £45.9m), with
underlying revenues up 20.6% reflecting a continued strong performance in
our Technology community and further take-up of our innovations such as
Community-in-a-Box and Virtual Events.
* YTD print revenues fell by 17.0% to £86.2m (Sept 2010: £103.9m), with
underlying revenues down 7.9%.
* UBM's print magazine portfolio comprised 103 titles at 30 September 2011
(30 Sept 2010: 106).
* Further to the first half disposal of four print businesses and a French
data services business, during the third quarter we also disposed of the UK
Entertainment and Technology print business and the EDN Japan print and
online assets. These seven disposed businesses contributed £48m of revenues
* In addition to the four acquisitions completed in the first half, during
the third quarter we acquired Ecobuild and a 70% stake in Index Fairs,
India's largest interiors tradeshow operator. The aggregate cash
consideration paid for the six acquisitions (all events businesses) was £
56.7m, with a maximum earn out of £40.3m. In 2010 these businesses
generated £28.2m of revenues.
* As previously announced, on 26 September UBM redeemed the £75m Floating
Rate Reset Bonds issued in September 2008. As provided under their terms,
UBM also paid the fair market value of the options associated with the
Bonds, totalling £19.1m. This mark-to-market value will be reflected as an
exceptional financing charge in the 2011 results.
* UBM's consolidated net debt stood at £510.9m as at 30 September 2011
reflecting the Ecobuild acquisition and bond repayment.
* This equates to 2.4x LTM EBITDA (pro forma for acquisitions).
* The net debt figure consists of £121.5m of cash, £16.8m of fair value and
bond amortisation adjustments and £615.6m of gross debt.
Foreign exchange rates
* All constant currency or underlying calculations are based on average FX
rates for the nine months year to date:
Average rate for period YTD 2011 YTD 2010 Change £/$
1.62 1.53 +5.9%
£/â¬ 1.15 1.17 -1.7%
Notice: Investor Day - 4th November
UBM will be hosting an investor day at 9.30am on Friday 4th November with presentations from Henry Elkington on Data Services and Ninan Chacko on PR Newswire. The presentations will be hosted at the J.P. Morgan Auditorium, 20 Moorgate, EC2R 3DA. As required by J.P. Morgan Cazenove security, all attendees must be registered in advance. Please confirm whether you will join us by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. A live webcast of the presentations will be made available from UBM's website. To access the webcast please go to www.ubm.com. An on-demand recording of the webcast will also be accessible from UBM's website later in the afternoon.
- Ends -
Peter Bancroft Director of Communications Kate Postans Head of Investor Relations
E-mail email@example.com E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct +44 20 7921 5961 Direct +44 20 7921 5023
Chris Barrie Citigate Dewe Rogerson
Direct +44 20 7282 2943
Notes to Editors
UBM plc is a leading global business media company. We inform markets and bring the world's buyers and sellers together at events, online, in print and provide them with the information they need to do business successfully. We focus on serving professional commercial communities, from doctors to game developers, from journalists to jewellery traders, from farmers to pharmacists around the world. Our 6,000 staff in more than 30 countries are organised into specialist teams that serve these communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM news.